Program of All-inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE)
Mountain Empire Older Citizens, Inc. (MEOC)
Who We Are
Mountain Empire PACE is a Program of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly. PACE enrolls frail seniors in a program of health and social services so they can live safely at home. The program is based at a PACE Center in Big Stone Gap. The PACE Center includes a medical clinic, a rehabilitation clinic, and facilities for adult day care, recreation, and meals.
To be eligible for PACE a person must be 55 years of age or older, screened for nursing facility level of care, and a resident of Lee, Wise, Scott or Norton. Most people who enroll in PACE are eligible for both Medicare and Medicaid.
PACE either provides or arranges:
- primary and specialty medical care;
- medications and medication management;
- dietary assessment, oversight, and education;
- personal care, respite care, home health services;
- social services and care coordination;
- adult day care, socialization, recreation, and meals;
- transportation for day care, appointments, shopping, etc.;
- ambulance service;
- acute hospital care with x-ray, lab, and other diagnostics;
- emergency care, dental care, hearing, and vision care;
- durable medical equipment;
- residential long term care as indicated.
Services are planned and monitored by a team of professionals - a doctor, nurse, pharmacist, dietitian, physical therapist, occupational therapist, home care coordinator, social worker, center manager, recreation therapist, driver, and personal care aide. This interdisciplinary team works closely with family caregivers to create a plan of care and secure every service needed by program participants.
PACE is a Medicare and Medicaid managed care program. Program participants agree to receive all their health care through PACE. PACE pays for everything covered by Medicare and Medicaid, plus dental, vision, and hearing care and simple home alterations as needed. All services are approved and overseen by the interdisciplinary team so that no one "falls through the cracks" of the health care system. There are no deductibles, co-pays, or health care bills for PACE participants.